1.21.2014

Tasty Tuesday: Quick Red Beans & Rice

We're enjoying a winter wonderland snow day today! Hope everyone is staying warm. I thought I would share a quick and easy weeknight meal {and one of the hubs favs}, quick Cajun red beans and rice.


First things first, when I have time, I'd just assume make this from scratch. But during the week, I'm always looking for a quick meal. I used Louisiana Fish Fry  Red Beans & Rice Mix for this batch. It has great flavor and saves you a ton of time. What else you'll need to trick it up:

1 piece bacon
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 chopped green pepper 
1 tsp. minced garlic 
4 cups water
1 pd. smoked sausage (I used turkey butterball) 
Worcheshire Sauce
Louisiana hot sauce

Cook one slice of bacon is your pot {I used my LeCruset Dutch oven} until crispy. Remove, leaving drippings in pan. {Treat your hubs or pup to the bacon, you won't need it for the recipe.}
Add onion, pepper, and garlic to pot; sauté 2-3 minutes. 
Slice and add sausage to pot; sauté another 2-3 minutes or until slightly cooked. 
Add 4 cups of water and package contents to pot. Bring to a boil and cook 2-3 minutes, before turning to simmer.
Add a dash of worchstershire and hot sauce. Stir and cook on low for 22 minutes. 

Serve with garlic bread and enjoy!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment