2.19.2013

Remember to Dance!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... 
It's about learning to dance in the rain"

Well, we are 7 days into lent and things seem to be going well so far. My focus this lent has been patience... but also clearing the days {and my head}, eating better, reaching out to others and just enjoying being happy.  I do have to admit my job brings on my greatest stress each and every day - possibly even my only stress in life, which really isn't so bad in the grand picture, right? I wouldn't even say that it's my actual job that causes me the stress, I really like what I do - I love writing and designing and planning events - it's just dealing with the outside world that stresses me out. I may not be a perfectionists, but I really do like when people appreciate what I do...for them, their company, their organization, anything really. I would have to say that my number one frustration is dealing with people that just aren't happy - about anything. How do you deal with these people?  

Well, this spring we are hosting ten regionally-located Drive-In meetings for work and within these meetings one of the sessions is a StrengthsQuest Finder initiative. We actually got to take our test early in January, but after hearing the presentation again last weekend, I was more motivated to dig deeper. Let me tell you, if you haven't taken any sort of strengths finder assessment - you should. You would be so intrigued with your results, why you do what you do, how you react and why to certain things, etc.  It's so interesting! Here were my top 5 strengths:

Woo
Strategic
Communications
Arranger
Significance

Pretty dead on, if you ask me.

What I learned... well, let's see:

I find it easy to put my thoughts into words. I am a good conversationalist and presenter. I can organize, but have flexibility that complements this ability. I like to figure out how all the pieces and resources can be arranged for maximum productivity. I want to be important in the eyes of others. I am independent, but want to be recognized. I am strategic in creating alternative ways to proceed. Given any problem, I can quickly spot the relevant patterns and issues. I love meeting new people and winning them over. I get satisfaction from breaking the ice and making a connection with another person.

What is also taught me...

Focus on your strengths, not on things that come hard to you. Who likes being unsuccessful? No one.
The perfect team is one who balances out each other. I don't work with others that are just like me, so I need to recognize the strengths that I don't have in my top 5 and find others to do them for me. I also learned that this is OK. It's OK to not be able to do it all - just do what you love.

So, today I'm organizing and dishing out... it's been fun already to have others helping, but if I could just keep in mind that patience thing. I know it's going to make life so much more enjoyable. It already has!  Even when times are tough and stressful, it's not just surviving them. It's making the most of each and every day... and learning how to dance in the rain!




No comments:

Post a Comment