2.13.2013

patience.



Today has been one of those days... when you just can't get out of bed, because you tossed and turned all night wide-awake... the weather is "eigh" at best... I wake with a stuffy head... and it seemed like it was going to be an "Alexander the terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day" kinda days.

Thankful to make it out the door dressed and early {for once} to work... and even have my keys to the office {which doesn't usually happen, but was a bonus, because I was the only one here}. Things were still gloomy... then everyone finally arrives and the complaining begins... and it comes in full-force... website updates, manuals, emails, blogs, picture requests... no one else seems to be able to get anything done without my help. Usually, I like to be needed... but not today. I just want to sit at my desk and actually get some items checked off MY list {not yours}.  In the midst of the hectic morning, I realize it's Ash Wednesday {...after an email from the hubs asking what I was giving up this year? Still searching... }

So, the beginning of lent it is... a promise of a fresh start and new beginnings.  It got me thinking... so I  took a longer lunch break, grabbed a fish Sammy from McD's {more on that one later} and went to mass to get my ashes. I was hoping things would start looking up. :)  Walking in, it was sleeting {and very cold}, we walk in to a packed house... immediately I have to pee and the bathroom is impossible to get to, so I sit tight... the choir director is practically yelling at folks to sing {louder, louder, sing people}. I'm suddenly feeling nauseated from the fillet o' fish, super sleepy {did I mention it's that time of the month} and it's just a mess. Needless to say, not the peace and certainty I was looking for in an Ash Wednesday mass.  So I'm back at work... taking a break from my long to-do list to read some blogs. I came across a blog I frequent often and it was talking about paying it forward... It kind made me smile inside just thinking about it.

It made me realize what I'm missing these days... and that's the ability to be able to constantly do for others {without being asked or told or demanded or even suckered into anything} just doing something because I think it's nice. It seem hard to do these days... especially in the profession I am in. Everyone is trying to get ahead and think first and put their name on it... it makes me also realize how stressful life can be if you let it consume you.  Which brings me to my thought on what I'm going to "give-up" for 40 days.

This year, I'm going to try my best to stop and listen.... to empathize before judging... and take a deep breath before I blow. {ha!} Patience. That is the word of the season... patience with others, patience with myself, my job, my hubs {which isn't too hard - he teaches me patience each and every day}, my friends, my family, my volunteer work and every day in general. When you are a busy-bee like me - patience is hard. All you steady bloggers know what I'm talking about. Who really has time for a blog? Not me. Not you. Then why do we blog? It's fun. It's a release. It's a way to put into words how we feel without being judged. It's easy. It doesn't talk back. And usually you feel pretty good about what you have to say. Am I right?  So, patience it is... I feel better thinking about it already.

Wish me luck... I'm off to practice my patience in a Board Meeting.

xo, 
Trace



1 comment:

  1. Bingo:) And in case it makes you feel better, my Ash Wednesday sounds a lot like yours. At least today is Valentine's Day! Happy Vday to you and J:)

    ReplyDelete