8.20.2012

Baked Oatmeal

What a fabulous low-key and fun weekend!  I guess that's what makes Monday's so hard...

I wanted to share with you a recipe I made on Saturday that were so easy and really delicious! This breakfast casserole was a little different than most that I've had. No sausage, eggs and biscuits in this one... it's baked oatmeal!! It's sweet, but pretty healthy if you follow my recipe below:


Baked Oatmeal Casserole
Total Time: 50 minutes
Serves: 6

Ingredients: 

2 cups oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon light salt
1 cup walnut pieces
1 cup fresh cut strawberries 
{1 cup blueberries - I would use next time}
1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
2 cups fat free or low fat milk
1 large egg {or egg substitute equivalent}
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/2-inch slices

In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, half the walnuts, half the berries and all the chocolate chips. (Save the other half of the berries & walnuts for the top of the oatmeal).
In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract.

Add the oat mixture to prepared baking dish. Arrange the remaining strawberries, walnuts and chocolate on top. 

Add the banana slices to the top then pour the milk mixture over everything. 

Gently shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown and the milk mixture has set. 
For an extra tasty top, sprinkle a tablespoon or so of extra brown sugar.

The first time I made it I used more chocolate chips - which it did not need. I also cut the brown sugar in half (like I listed above.)  I think I'll be making this one for the local wine festival in a few weeks - it would be great for a crowd! The serving sizes are also pretty small to be satisfied - needless to say, we are still enjoying this delicious dish!  




No comments:

Post a Comment