8.04.2017

New Baby | Essentials for Momma

We just passed the one week mark with Baby #2 and I must say, this recovery has been so different from my first. Miss Annalee was breach (you can read her birth story here), so cesarian delivery was our only option. I was fortunate to be able to try for a VBAC this time around, and boy is recovery after a vaginal delivery totally different.

I love reading blogs about what was helpful and what wasn't helpful to have, so I thought while it was fresh on my mind I would write down the must-have's for our first week of survival.

We focus so much on prepping for baby - all the gear, clothes, diapers, bottles and wipes - and while those are handy to have, this post is all about taking care of momma.

Favorite items I packed for the hospital:
  • slippers & a robe
  • my own shampoo, conditioner, soap and a razor - taking a real shower never felt so good!
  • fluffy bath towels for showering 
  • lanolin cream
  • breast pads
  • open front pajamas for nursing
  • sleep shorts or maternity shorts you can wear over your mesh panties {keepin' it real}
  • nursing bras
My favorite items for week one:

Nursing Bras. At least two. Make sure you love them. You don't have to spend a fortune, but don't go cheap. You want something you can sleep in, so seamless would be ideal, no cups or wires or hooks. I found these guys at Target this time around and so far, they have been great for the the first week of nursing. Remember to allow plenty of room for your milk to come in! 

Pads. Yes, the big bulky kind. {again, keepin' it real}

Nursing pads. My favorite are Medela disposable Nursing Bra Pads

Lanolin. My favorite is the Medela Tender Care Lanolin.

Vitamins and stool softener. My OB actually wrote me a script for "self-meds" in the hospital and gave me two large bottles to take home, along with Ibuprofen. 

Snacks loaded with protein to keep you full. You'll be starving! 

Nursing pillow. The Boppy is still being put to great use. 

A favorite large cup for water! I keep a Tervis with a top and straw by my side at all times. I refill before and after every feeding session, to ensure I'm getting plenty of water. It's been my life-savor and the key to my milk supply, I believe. There is nothing better than a hydrated momma! 

Flowy tops for nursing and comfy bottoms. 

Hope the first week with your little one is the best! A couple other things that have kept me sain... 

A shower EVERY day - clean hair and shaved legs make me feel like myself for once. 

Also, keep things simple. 

Welcome food from friends. 

Ask for help from your family. Clean laundry and a clean house will relieve SO much stress. 

Don't feel guilty for staying inside. 

Don't apologize for sneaking out for a nap - any time of the day. 

....AND enjoy those baby snuggles! They will be gone before you know it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment